Wednesday, December 15, 2010

what if...

1 Peter 1:6 So be glad! There is wonderful joy ahead, even though it is necessary for you to endure many trials for a while.

Yesterday I read Genesis 39, which is the story of how, after being sold into slavery by his brothers, Joseph was bought by Potiphar, the captain of Pharaoh's. Potiphar came to trust Joseph so much that he placed Joseph in charge of everything. It was said that Potiphar didn't worry about anything once he put Joseph in charge.

Of course we know Potiphar's wife tried to seduce Joseph, Joseph refused, she cried rape, & Joseph went to prison.

I noticed that once in prison, Joseph's integrity & ability were such that the head jailer put him in charge of the operations of the prison! And once again, it's indicated that the jailer didn't worry about anything once he put Joseph in charge.

God seemed to whisper to me, "see, no matter where he was or what circumstances he was in, Joseph was who he was in Me. And no matter the situation, he was a person that people trusted in, who made their lives so much easier."

I wonder if I'd been Joseph, would I have been in a "poor me" mode, always depressed about my lot & situation, enslaved & then unjustly imprisoned in Egypt, far away from my prissy & precious life as the favored son of Jacob, or I would have been someone of such quality that Potiphar or the jailer would have trusted with the running of the very thing that enslaved or imprisoned me, to the point where they didn't worry about the day to day running of it.

No comments: